Walking routes in Kiev
To enjoy the views and plunge into the atmosphere of interesting historical and tourist places in Kiev, you need to go through them. You can book a family room in the city center, which will allow you to plan a convenient route for walking with loved ones.
How to build a route, so as not to wander the labyrinth of streets, not winding extra circles? We offer several ready-made routes, including the main places of the capital, which are worth a visit.
Along the Dnieper
When the weather is favorable, you can walk along the embankment along the river from the Pochtovaya Square to the Darnitsky Bridge. On the way you will meet beautiful views, parks, museums, a large number of attractions, including:
- Volodymyrska Hill is a park in the center of the capital covers an area of more than 10 hectares and has three levels. It houses a monument to Vladimir the Great – one of the oldest sculptural monuments of the capital, the Mikhailovsky Monastery, and sculptures of the capital’s masters.
- The People’s Friendship Arch. It consists of 3 elements: a rainbow arch, bronze and granite sculptures that depict the working people and the Pereyaslav Council scene.
- Mariinsky Park. Within the park there is a palace erected by decree of Empress Elizabeth. There is a viewing platform with a breathtaking view of the river and the city on its left bank.
- Askold’s grave. According to legend, the Kiev ruler Askold is buried here. This place is included in the park complex.
- Park of Eternal Glory. Memorials in honor of the victims of the famine are located in a park of more than 18 hectares.
- Kiev-Pechersk Lavra is the oldest monastery, a complex of churches, founded in 1051, has the status of a historical monument.
- The Museum of the Second World War and the Motherland Monument is another place on the right bank of the Dnieper, which should not be left unattended. Here are the memorial complex, a monument-sculpture, a national museum, and a park.
St. Andrew’s Descent – Sophia Square – Maidan Nezalezhnosti
St. Andrew’s Descent is a street-museum, which leads hiking routes. This path connects the Upper Town and the Hem. A narrow cobbled street has preserved the historic atmosphere, which gives it an amazing beauty. Here is a building erected in the traditions of the British Gothic – the castle of Richard the Lionheart. The facade of the house is decorated with elements of fortifications. Among them are towers, spiers, jagged tops of the walls. According to legend, ghosts live in this house, the wailing of which is heard at night or in bad weather.
Going up the street, you get through St. Andrew’s Church and St. Michael’s Cathedral to St. Sophia Square. It houses the majestic St. Sophia Cathedral, built in the style of Ukrainian Baroque, which dates from the first half of the 11th century. The uniqueness of the building is that inside the cathedral there are genuine mosaics, murals, frescoes. This is the first architectural monument of the country, which is added to the UNESCO World Heritage List. Once Sophia Square was a field outside the city walls, now it is the center of the city.
Maidan Nezalezhnosti. The monument of independence of Ukraine located in the center of which is a 52-meter-high column with a girl Oranta on it, made in the Baroque and Empire style. The height of the monument is 62 meters.
Lyadsky gate is the preserved ancient brahm once led to the princely part of the city. The gate was part of a single defensive system of the city during the time of Yaroslav the Wise.
Khreschatyk is the main street of the capital, 1.3 km long, has existed since the 17th century. Now it is one of the business centers of the capital, but the buildings located on the street have preserved the architectural features and styles of past centuries. You can book a hotel in Kiev in one of the central areas to relax with comfort after a full day of impressions.
In one day, the capital cannot be bypassed, but by choosing one of the routes, you can familiarize with the main outstanding places and plunge into the unsurpassed atmosphere of the city.